Friday, March 29, 2013

5k Glow Run and Color Me Rad 5k Run

Come May, I will be running the Color me Rad 5k run (Looks fun, right?)

And the 5k Glow run in August. This is my first run of any kind (Excluding those stupid mile runs in high school) and I'm UBER excited. I started training recently but I've been running since January of this year.


I use Nike+ to keep track of all my runs and I've been getting better and better. If you use Nike+, please feel free to add me at blkenigma. Today I ran my all time best for 5k at 45 minutes and 11 seconds. A few weeks ago it was 50 minutes, then last week it was 48! 
I also use myfitnesspal (you can add me at blkenigma8) to keep track of my food intake and my burned calories. 

I do have a few tips for any noob runners out there that I had to learn the hard way.

  1. Shoes. Go get your feet checked out and get some highly recommended or prescribed shoes.
  2. Run on a track. Running on concrete (Especially if you're over weight) is so hard on your body. I got really bad shin splints doing this. Running on a track is just so much easier to start out. 
  3. Breathing. Try to control your breathing while running. I've heard people breathing like HEE HEE HOOO or just taking a deep breath in and a deep breath out. I breathe one breath at a time, slowly. When you take deeper breaths, you use more air sacs in your lungs, which allows you to take in more oxygen to feed your muscles. Also, breathe through your belly, not your chest. This is a daily struggle for me and I'm still working on it. Read more about breathing HERE
  4. Posture. Try not to slouch when running. Look straight ahead and point your chest outward.
  5. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Constantly drink water.  I used to just drink after I ran but I found that I was more exhausted and had to stop running just to get water. I drink 3 cups (8oz each) before (not immediately before, but throughout my morning) and 5 throughout the rest of the day. When I run, I don't need to stop and drink. 
  6. Friends. Find a motivational partner. Someone who is working towards the same goal, or maybe they have accomplished it. 
  7. Eat. But eat healthy! Eat lots of protein and keep track of what you are putting into your body. Don't have a mentality of "oh I burned 500 calories now I can eat an extra 500 calories". Eat lots of colors: carrots, broccoli, radishes, squash, grapes, watermelon, the works. 
I may add more tips as I go and if you have any tips please feel free to comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment